[mythtv-users] mpeg4 header damaged during recording

Steve Briggs zzybaloobah at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 1 17:37:03 UTC 2007

I've been having problems recording since upgrading from
myth 0.19-129.rhfc4 atrpms to 0.20-148.fc6 atrpms.

About 1/3 - 1/2 of the time, the recordings are damaged and
will not play back.  When I try and play them back (with
mythtv-frontend) I get a zillion mpeg4 errors:
2006-12-21 04:36:23.843 TV: Changing from None to WatchingPreRecorded
2006-12-21 04:36:23.879 Video timing method: DRM
[mpeg4 @ 0x7c9c264]Error, header damaged or not MPEG4 header (f_code=0)
[mpeg4 @ 0x7c9c264]header damaged
[mpeg4 @ 0x7c9c264]Error at MB: 10
[mpeg4 @ 0x7c9c264]concealing 810 DC, 810 AC, 810 MV errors
[mpeg4 @ 0x7c9c264]ac-tex damaged at 19 0
[mpeg4 @ 0x7c9c264]Error at MB: 19
[mpeg4 @ 0x7c9c264]concealing 810 DC, 810 AC, 810 MV errors
[mpeg4 @ 0x7c9c264]Error, header damaged or not MPEG4 header (f_code=0)

and so on.  The audio is fine, but the video is complete garbage.
It's reproducible in the sense that the player always acts the same
on a given file (so it's random in the recording, not the playback).
I've tried playing the files in mplayer and get the same result.
mythtv-frontend and mplayer play older files fine.

The system was working fine at fedora core 4 with the older ATRPMS
and also at FC6 with the older ATRPMS, it was only after upgrading
to 0.20-147 (and then 0.20-148) ATRPMS that the problems started.

I've tried 2 different backends/tuners and the problem persists, so
it's not a hardware problem.  I've tried moving my /video partition
to eliminate any file system/network problems.  I don't know what the
common element is when it fails.  I've tried looking at the backend
logs during recording, and there's nothing obvious, but maybe I'm
missing something.  I can email logs if you want (the list server rejected
them when I tried including them as an attachment).

I'm running SDTV, Hauppauge WinTV (bt878) cards, encoded directly to
mpeg4 by mythbackend.

TIA
Steve