[mythtv-users] Slow video on XFS raid 0, ok video on ext3 on single drive.

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Jan 1 19:48:15 UTC 2007

On Jan 1, 2007, at 12:32 PM, devsk wrote:

> >> First, for whatever reason, /dev/md0 does not seem to be my RAID
> device.
>
> oh boy! you need to know which RAID you are using. software raid
> provided by linux (MD type) or BIOS raid provided by linux driver
> device mapper (DM type)? MD type will give you /dev/md0 and DM type
> will give you /dev/mapper/<blah>. It looks like you are using
> dmraid and /dev/md0 is a bogus device on your machine (did you
> mknod it or are there 'fd' type partitions on your disks, which
> kernel detected automatically). You should do 'fdisk -l /dev/mapper/
> sil_agbgdgbjfhei' and chose appropriate partition to mount for your

Plus you mention a "RAID card" and also a couple of different
software RAID methods, which would seem to be a contradiction. A true
RAID card would simply appear as a single drive, but you'd know if
you had one - you would have paid through the nose :-)

So-called "raid cards" or motherboard RAID capability is really just
a bit of BIOS memory to store some setup data for proprietary
(Windows) software RAID drivers. It's mostly marketing, not
engineering, and of little or no interest to Linux users.

Your drive numbers for c,e,f and g are not *that* bad, but the ones
for a and b really stink. Are you sure you're using an 80-conductor
cable?

You might also want to look into bonnie or something like it to get a
more true picture of your actual filesystem performance.