[mythtv-users] dishnetwork hdtv

Mark Lehrer mark at knm.org
Mon Jan 1 20:23:45 UTC 2007

> I'm trying to understand this mythtv.  I have dish network and hope
> to have dish network hdtv in the future.  Can I connect the hdmi out
> on the dishnetwork box to a capture card in my computer?  That is
> the big question.  Thanks for your time.

Unfortunately it is not easy because they want to do two things:
prevent people from copying the content and force you to use their
DVR.

I am looking at a couple of expensive options: 169time and nextcom.
They have hacks to satellite receivers that will let you do your own
DVR.  Unfortunately, the Nextcom requires you to dedicate a Windows XP
machine to this task - I'm not sure if 169time is better or not yet.
At least their unit seems to run on Linux, which means maybe it could
co-exist with MythTV.

Mark