[mythtv-users] Analogue 5.1 Surround Sound Out

James Buckley xanium4332 at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 2 15:37:32 UTC 2007

Hello all...

I was wondering how to enable 5.1 surround sound in myth? Is it as
simple as editing the sound device to 'ALSA:surround51'.

See me, being a poor man, cannot afford an external digital audio
system (which would allow me to just enable 'AC3 Passthrough' to get
surround sound). Instead I have a 5.1 surround sound speaker system
(like the ones you can get for PCs). I was wondering how to get the
5.1 audio from DVDs & etc..

At the moment it just seems to clone a stereo output over all my
channels, and I have no option in alsamixer for setting 'Duplicate
Front'.

Any info would be great.

Thanks in advance, James

P.S., my Motherboard's an MSI K8NGM2-FID, with 7.1 and SPDIF audio
out. ALSA uses the 'hda-intel' driver.