[mythtv-users] Gentoo new install

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Jan 2 22:55:58 UTC 2007

On Jan 2, 2007, at 12:24 PM, Mike Daugird wrote:

> ********************
> I was going off the following
> http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-9.html
>
> [quote]Storage Groups
>  New in MythTV 0.21
>
> Storage Groups are lists of directories that are used to hold MythTV
> recording files. By default, there is only one Storage Group, called
> "Default".
> [/quote]
>
> Its about half way down.
> I took that to mean there was a .21

Hmmm...   I'd interpret it that way as well, but it's the first I'd
heard of it, and a search of gossamer for "0.21" doesn't reveal much.
It doesn't appear to be an official "release" if it does exist.

There are of course the "developmental" SVN "releases" but I
generally let the braver souls play with them.

I'm still running 0.19. I firmly believe in "if it works do not fix
it", and I'm coming up on a year of uninterrupted uptime.

> Could you be more specific on the udev rules. My user is a member of
> video but udev makes it owned by root group root.
> thanks

I'm not running Myth on Gentoo anymore, so I'm not sure if the udev
rules for your video device(s) are in your general rules/permissions
file(s) or a specific file.

But one of the files under /etc/udev/ will list the device and
various parameters including NAME, GROUP and MODE. You simply have to
edit the file to make the device a member of whatever group(s) you
want and/or have whatever permission mode you want.

You could of course cheat, and just run a script from /etc/conf.d/
local.start that sets whatever permissions you need before your
backend starts, but that's not the "correct" answer even if it does
work :-)