[mythtv-users] Graphics cards with Component video - anyone using?

Tom Lichti tom at redpepperracing.com
Wed Jan 3 16:08:07 UTC 2007

Stroller wrote:
> On 2 Jan 2007, at 20:49, Tom Lichti wrote:
>
>> Stroller wrote:
>>> At the moment I'm thinking that one of the PNY Verto cards will be
>>> the way to go; the last remaining thing is to see if this component
>>> "HDTV-out breakout pod" is supported under Linux. Anyone?
>> I am using a GeForce 6200 based card (not sure on the exact mfg/model)
>> with the component out cable thingy, and it works just fine, if you
>> use
>> the right config. ... You have to
>> specify an HD resolution in the 'TVStandard' option of the xorg/xfree
>> config file. For me, since I have an SD TV with component input, that
>> option is 'HD480i'. ...
>
> Oooh! I figured I'd learn more about X11 configuration if I Googled
> "TVStandard"... lo and behold: <http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/
> ComponentOut>
>
> I'm surprised by the author's statement "utilising a VGA to component
> transcoder provides higher quality". Can anyone explain why this
> might be, please?

Not sure, since my personal experience is that with finally getting the
component out on the Nvidia card to work, I have the best Myth display I
have ever had, and that is with using composite, s-video, 3 different
VGA transcoders, and finally the component out. I can't see how my
picture could get any better at this point, for me anyway. I'm sure my
setup is far from normal though.

> I think I'd be quite glad to use standard on-board graphics and a £60
> adaptor box, but had assumed that X11 could scale the image better -
> the panel in my telly has a native resolution of 720x576 & does 576p
> (@ 50hz, I think).

If 576p is a standard HD definition, then you should be able to use
'HD576p' as the the TV Standard in xorg.conf.

Tom