[mythtv-users] HD Tuner Cards

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Jan 3 21:03:46 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jan 03, 2007 at 04:01:33PM -0500, Rich West wrote:
> Am I correct in my understanding that OTA HD is sent via MPEG2?  So,
> when you capture it, you capture it as raw MPEG2?
>
> So, the pressure is really on the frontend in order to properly play it,
> right?

I'd say that's pretty close, yeah.  It comes in, I believe, as an MPEG2
transport stream, and the card has to pick the desired program stream
out of that and ship it over the bus, but as with Hauppauge analog
cards, there's no compression being done on the CPU (and unlike those,
there's no compression being done on the card, either), so the only
time MPEG has to be manhandled is, as you say, on playback.

If your video hardware has hardware-MPEG2 decoding too, then Bob's your
elderly male relative.

Cheers,
-- jra