[mythtv-users] HD Tuner Cards

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 00:00:23 UTC 2007

On 1/3/07, Jay R. Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 03, 2007 at 04:01:33PM -0500, Rich West wrote:
> > Am I correct in my understanding that OTA HD is sent via MPEG2?  So,
> > when you capture it, you capture it as raw MPEG2?
> >
> > So, the pressure is really on the frontend in order to properly play it,
> > right?
>
> I'd say that's pretty close, yeah.  It comes in, I believe, as an MPEG2
> transport stream, and the card has to pick the desired program stream
> out of that and ship it over the bus, but as with Hauppauge analog
> cards, there's no compression being done on the CPU (and unlike those,
> there's no compression being done on the card, either), so the only
> time MPEG has to be manhandled is, as you say, on playback.

h264 is another option (instead of MPEG2), though I don't believe any
stations in the U.S. use it yet, though the BBC is currently testing.
Works basically the same way, its just a much better compression
algorithm, requiring more decoding power, and I don't believe there is
currently any linux accelerated support for.

> If your video hardware has hardware-MPEG2 decoding too, then Bob's your
> elderly male relative.

ROTFL!

--
Steve