[mythtv-users] Getting MythWeb authentication working

stan stanb at panix.com
Thu Jan 4 02:08:08 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jan 02, 2007 at 03:26:13PM -0800, Chris Petersen wrote:
> stan wrote:
> > Let me clarify. When I make this chamge, I no longer have a link from the
> > top level web page on the Myth backend box. Just teh one to the default
> > Apache page.
>
> You're still not making sense.  If you get the default apache index
> page, it just means that no index.html type page has been detected by
> apache.  If the URL you're using *used* to show mythweb, that likely
> means there's a configuration problem in your .htaccess file, which
> would show up in the apache error logs if you looked there.

OK, let's start from the begining.

The system is an Ubuntu 6.10 system (which of course is Debian derived).
Out of tthe box, if you point a web browser at it, you get a auto generated
index.html page with 2 entries, one for te default Apache banner pafe, and
one for the top level MythWeb page.

In /etc/myth is a file mythweb-htaccess.conf, this is sym linked to
/var/www/mythweb/.htaccess.dist. It contains (among other lines):

# I *strongly* urge you to turn on authentication for MythWeb.  It is
disabled
# by default because it requires you to set up your own password file.
Please
# see the man page for htdigest and then configure the folowing four
directives
# to suit your authentication needs.
#
#    AuthType           Digest
#    AuthName           "MythTV"
#    AuthDigestFile       /var/www/htdigest
#    Require            valid-user
#    BrowserMatch       "MSIE"      AuthDigestEnableQueryStringHack=On
#
#  * If you're running Apache earlier than 2.2, you will need to use
#    AuthDigestFile instead of AuthUserFile.

So, I created the following sym link:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 44 2007-01-01 16:19 auth_digest.load ->
/etc/apache2/mods-available/auth_digest.load
in /etc/apache2/mods-enabled

This should get the proper module loaded. Then I used htdigest to create
user entries in  /var/www/htdigest. Then I restarted Apaceh. At this point
in time the mythweb entry no longer appears on the index.html page.

Here is the end of the Apache error log file:

[Wed Jan 03 21:06:13 2007] [notice] caught SIGTERM, shutting down
[Wed Jan 03 21:06:14 2007] [notice] Digest: generating secret for digest authent
ication ...
[Wed Jan 03 21:06:14 2007] [notice] Digest: done PHP Warning:  mime_magic: type
regex\t\tBEGIN[[:space:]]*[{]\tapplication/x-awk invalid in Unknown on line 0
[Wed Jan 03 21:06:15 2007] [notice] Apache/2.0.55 (Ubuntu) PHP/4.4.2-1.1 configu
red -- resuming normal operations

I really don't have clue why this is not working.

(Dennis Ritchie)