[mythtv-users] Missing video Devices???

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Thu Jan 4 12:46:31 UTC 2007

On 4 Jan 2007, at 12:00, A JM wrote:

>> These would indeed need reinstallation after a kernel upgrade because
>> they would be kernel driver modules, and driver modules need to be
>> compiled against a specific version of the kernel.
>
> I'm following you that they are KERNEL dependent. Why did they get
> un-installed? I know that is an open ended question but did the KERNEL
> update do that? I didn't specifically remove them so something removed
> them?

I'm not familiar with your package manager, so I don't know about that.

> The following shows no signs of the ivtv drivers...
>
> [root at myth2 mythtv]# /sbin/lsmod |grep "ivtv"
> [root at myth2 mythtv]# rpm -qa |grep "ivtv"
> [root at myth2 mythtv]# /sbin/modprobe ivtv
> FATAL: Module ivtv not found.
> [root at myth2 mythtv]#

What does `find /lib/modules/ --iname "ivtv*"`say?
(without the ` quotes, but with the " ones)

> Is changing between KERNELS after it's installed as easy as selecting
> the correct KERNEL at Boot up with GRUB? I assume that you would also
> then need to have the correct drivers for whichever KERNEL your using,
> correct?

You're hitting the nail right on the head here... changing between
kernels is as easy as selecting the right kernel in Grub (you can
also edit /boot/grub/grub.conf by hand to change the default) but
drivers won't work unless they're compatible with the new version.

I think that occasionally drivers compiled for an old version of the
kernel will load in a newer one - showing an error in `dmesg` but
little (ie: not more than one point release). But I think you should
consider this the exception rather than the rule.

Stroller.