[mythtv-users] IN72 + Nvidia component out 480p looks terrible 720p is great

Alan Marchiori alan at alanmarian.com
Thu Jan 4 14:30:33 UTC 2007

I picked up an Infocus IN72 projector over the holidays and am trying
to get it setup properly.  For now I am using the component out of a
GeForce 6100 card running the latest binary driver and it looks great
with everything setup for 720p output.  But this projector is only
480p (854x480 pixels), so I assumed running 480p output would be best.
 When set for 480p output  the picture is dull and has a blue tint.
Almost like a cable was loose, but it's not.  Switching back to 720p
makes everything look good again.  I have searched the archives and
haven't turned up anything like this, does anyone have any ideas?  I
watch mostly OTA HD and some channels are 1080i so I assume myth will
scale this to 720p then the projector scales to 480p this sounds bad,
I really want to just scale everything on myth down to the projector's
native 480p.  Does this make sense?  I could also try running myth at
1080i but then 720p will be scaled up to 1080i and then back down to
480p on the projector.  Again this doesn't sound ideal.

Thanks,