[mythtv-users] HD Tuner Cards

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Thu Jan 4 15:35:42 UTC 2007

Rudy Zijlstra <mythtv at edsons.demon.nl> says:
> >I wouldn't count on it. I don't think many Europeans--even those on
> >this list--appreciate just how far North America is ahead of the
> >rest of the world in deploying over-the-air, satellite, and
> >cable-based
> >
> The drawback of being first... You get legacy you need to handle.

Legacy is another way for "What works and works now." There's always
going to be a more efficient codec. Yes, the MPEG-4 *some* DVB
variants use is more efficient in terms of bandwidth. Where does one
draw the line and say "This is good enough?"

Let me repeat: North America has had fully-functioning digital
1920x1080 HDTV (as opposed to Japan's MUSE analog HDTV system; now,
*that*'s legacy) since the late 1990s. The BBC is still turning the
ignition key (which is still ahead of most of the rest of Europe),
Japan is a step ahead of the BBC with ISDB, and Australia is now
bragging about how most large cities have at least one digital (Not
necessarily HD!) broadcasting station up and running. Like I said,
where the US was seven years ago.