[mythtv-users] What resolution should I use with TV-Out only setup?

Mlists mlists at dressler.ca
Thu Jan 4 16:57:16 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-01-04 at 07:56 -0700, Brett Kosinski wrote:
>         I'm running a frontend with tv-out only setup with an Nvidia
>         5600.
>
>         It iscurrently configured with 800x600 in the xorg.conf but my
>         question is should I try and match what is coming from my
>         source?  I think its 720x480 or similar -- NTSC NA satellite.
>
>         What would be the best config to use for this setup?
>

> Try to match NTSC, which is 720x480.  Anything higher than that, and
> the card will have to scale down the output, anyway (NTSC is limited
> to 480 lines).
>
> Brett.

I set it to 720x480 but video came up smaller on the screen then the
available space on the screen.  The menus filled the screen though.  If
I change the aspect ratio to 'fill' it does fill the screen and looks ok
as well.  Perhaps since some of the channels might be lower resolution
then 720x480?  I'm not really sure how to tell without recording part of
it and checking the mpeg file afterwards.

As many on the list has indicated I too have issues with XVmc -- I
switched to libmpeg and really am not seeing much difference in cpu
usage!

Thanks
Norm