[mythtv-users] Encrypted HD channels

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Jan 4 17:06:09 UTC 2007

On Jan 4, 2007, at 9:45 AM, Steven Adeff wrote:

> Basically, you can at least record the channel, and the quality is
> damned good for not being HD, basically its "DVD" quality. The
> downconversion the Motorola DCT's do is very good, and with the proper
> recording settings on your PVR card the recording is good. I record
> some of the InHD MOJO shows this way, so that at least I can watch
> them.
>
> As well, lets say your going to record something on TNT, I'd much
> rather have the TNTHD downconverted version than the regular TNT
> broadcast, the quality will be much better, especially for the shows
> they carry that are actually HD. ie. I'd rather have a Porsche 914
> (you know, the one with the VW engine, like the 356A's...) than a VW
> Type 4 (which shared the 914's engine).

You have some good points. Unfortunately the only HD I have access to
is DISH or the single off-air channel here, which is mostly
upconverted SD with a crappy encoder.

I've no experience with the Motorola DCT boxes, but what you say
makes some sense.

I'm building a test machine with an HD-3000 card in it to see what if
anything I can get as unencrypted QAM from the cable.

There is actually a 6-cylinder 914 in the local paper here, I might
even go look at it, but...