[mythtv-users] Myth based Car Computer

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 18:05:51 UTC 2007

On 1/4/07, Jason Donahue <mythtv at timekiller.org> wrote:

> >> my

> >> additions...

> >> George,
> >> When I first started on the carpc, myth .18 was the latest/greatest.
> >> This
> >> meant no touchscreen support at all. This is why I fabricated the
> >> control
> >> panel next to my shifter. It registers to the system as a USB keyboard.
> >> See
> >> the archived photos:
> >>
> >> https://www.timekiller.org/carpc/archive.php
> >>
> >> It works, and I was able to make it look factory, but ultimately I'd
> >> like to
> >> do away with it and be 100% touchscreen controlled. Obviously there is
> >> plenty of work that needs to be done before that happens.
> >>
> >> Anyone know the status of mouse control in Myth ? Is there a plan to
> >> make it
> >> 100% mouse-only compatible ?
> >
> > there is gesture support, though it would seem to make touchscreen
> > really useful a new theme would be needed that provided navigation
> > buttons that could be clicked to move forward and back (if this is
> > even possible in a theme?).
> I am aware of, and use gesture control to navigate the menus, but it does
> not work to, for example, exit mythmusic. In fact, to my knowledge, there is
> no mouse support in myhmusic whatsoever, so with mythvideo, etc.
>
> The menu system itself supports the mouse/gestures, but you're on your own
> once you are in a plugin.
>
> From my understanding, this can not be controlled through a theme, it would
> require patching the plugins themselves. I have a friend who start to work
> on this once, but gave up. Oh what I would give to be a QT developer :)
>
> Hopefully this is on the Myth to-do list.

are the gestures defined in the theme or elsewhere? I also just
thought, if there is no way to directly call a button in a theme, one
could call a script to call a telnet command to Myth so that you could
create navigation buttons in the theme. This would at least get things
working, though for your CarPC I can see why gestures would be better
than navigation buttons.

I'll probably create a modified theme for my mom's touchscreen with
navigation buttons since it will be a larger screen and she'll be
close to it when using the touchscreen.

anyone know of a list of touchscreen LCDs that work in linux?

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!