[mythtv-users] Encrypted HD channels

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Jan 4 18:05:53 UTC 2007

On Jan 4, 2007, at 10:21 AM, Steven Adeff wrote:

> On 1/4/07, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
>> On Jan 4, 2007, at 9:45 AM, Steven Adeff wrote:
>>> Basically, you can at least record the channel, and the quality is
>>
>> You have some good points. Unfortunately the only HD I have access to
>> is DISH or the single off-air channel here, which is mostly
>> upconverted SD with a crappy encoder.
>
> in theory, it should work for the DISH boxes too, if they downconvert
> HD to output through their S-Video port.

I'll have to try it. I disabled the HD channels on datadirect. I use
a separate SD-only receiver to feed my Myth system since the SD
channel of my main receiver is tied up since my Mom found the
Metropolitan Opera channel on the Sirius stations.

>> I've no experience with the Motorola DCT boxes, but what you say
>> makes some sense.
>
> I hope so, its why I have the encrypted HD channels enabled on my
> PVR-150 zap2it listing =)
>
>> I'm building a test machine with an HD-3000 card in it to see what if
>> anything I can get as unencrypted QAM from the cable.
>
> most likely just the local OTA in your market. From what I've seen the
> cable company's are starting to enable/pass the 5C signal to the cable
> boxes these last few months.

Actually it looks like I'm getting TNT and Discovery in HD
unencrypted, and perhaps some more. I need to talk to the cable
company, as I think receiving those channels without paying is called
"stealing" :-)

>> There is actually a 6-cylinder 914 in the local paper here, I might
>> even go look at it, but...
>
> thats the Porsche 914/16 variant, it uses a true Porsche engine.
> Either way I was never a big fan of that body even though its sort of
> the grandfather to my favorite Porsche, the Boxster S ;-)

It would be fun, but not very practical I'm afraid :-( Now if I could
find an old 911 at a decent price...