[mythtv-users] Encrypted HD channels

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Thu Jan 4 18:25:24 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-01-04 at 11:05 -0700, Brian Wood wrote:

> Actually it looks like I'm getting TNT and Discovery in HD
> unencrypted, and perhaps some more. I need to talk to the cable
> company, as I think receiving those channels without paying is called
> "stealing" :-)

What do we call it when we pay for them but still can't receive them
unencrypted? A "rip-off", I guess :-)  Of course they can point out
correctly that the channels I paid for can be received just fine,
provided I use their box, which only outputs those channels in HD via
HDMI, which is useless to Myth. "We're the cable company. We don't care.
We don't have to" (yep, a repeated line but one of my all-time favorites
adapted from the 1960's phone company).

I'm just wondering what is going to happen when everything goes digital.
My Myth box may totally disappear at that point as the Comcast-supplied
box will be necessary for virtually everything. Right now I can get
almost all of the SD channels in analog via the PVR-500, but when
everything goes digital, I will only be able to get whatever they put
through unencrypted, probably just the over-the-air networks. Bah,
humbug. I'll be driving an old air-cooled Beetle again.

--Greg