[mythtv-users] VGA to component cables

Dave dave at optionsdsl.ca
Fri Jan 5 00:49:42 UTC 2007

Its confusing now-a-days about these converters and cables with vga one
one end, and 3xRCA on the other end.  MANY TV devices now take VGA as
well as component video on the 15 pin VGA port.

Connecting one of these VGA cables to a video card 15 pin port, and the
other end to the YPbPr ports on the TV will likely yield undesirable
results.  The Video card would have to specifically output YPbPr on the
VGA port, and none that I know of do this, especially out of the box,
Nvidia's new cards have a specific dongle, Im unsure about ATI.

The converter takes the VGA signal and matches it to YPbPr, (color
difference vs. full RGB bandwidth, and also combines the separate sync
signals to a single composite sync, and inserts it onto the Y lead
(green lead)

These converters DO NOT manipulate the resolution or timing, you still
need to set up xorg/myth correctly with 1080i modelines, 720p, etc.