[mythtv-users] lirc issues after vacation

Davey McWatters daveyiv at adelphia.net
Fri Jan 5 04:39:58 UTC 2007

devsk wrote:
> lircd exits if one connection fails due to failed ioctls on the device
> (/var/log/messages will have a message to this effect). I went thru
> this recently where lircd would start fine but would disappear after I
> invoked 'irw', which will return with 'connection refused'. The reason
> in my case was that the in-kernel driver (pvrusb2) didn't have the
> support for lirc for the chip 24xx. I downloaded the tar and built the
> driver myself, and it all started working.
>
> so, check to see if your driver for the IR device is working properly
> and /dev/lirc/0 is getting created. See if you are using in-kernel
> version now whereas you used the self-built latest module earlier.
>
> other possibility (in case you didn't upgrade kernel, change any
> modules, or upgrade lirc) could be udev upgrade messed up something
> and is no longer creating /dev/lirc/0.
>
> -devsk

How can I check to see if my driver for the IR device is working
properly? If I try to go into /dev/lirc/ it says not a directory. How do
I know if I am using the in-kernel version vs a compiled version? I
downloaded the source for lirc and did the make install procedure again
to no avail. The only thing I can think of that would have broken it was
some updates I installed today, but I unchecked off of the ones dealing
with kernel headers and stuff to try to avoid this issue...