[mythtv-users] HD Tuner Cards

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Fri Jan 5 05:05:52 UTC 2007

On 4 Jan 2007, at 16:34, Rudy Zijlstra wrote:
> In Europe the following deployments active, using H.264:
>   - BBC HD, which can be captured as its DVB-S. I am playing with that
> one...

Which tuner card are you using to capture this, please?

The "Freeview" DVB-T reception is quite poor in my area, and
additionally I am in a ground-floor flat, so I would like to use DVB-S.

So far my enquires on the linux-dvb list for card recommendations
have not been fruitful - I'd like to get a dual-LNB and record two
channels at once, so ideally I'd prefer a DVB-S card with two
tuners / inputs. However the only card meeting this criteria that I
can find mention of is the DVICO FusionHDTV DVB-S [1] and this
doesn't seem readily available, nor is it listed as MythTV-compatible
[2] [3]. I have therefore resigned myself to dedicating two PCI slots
to DVB-S capture - I thought maybe a couple of Hauppauge Nova-S cards?

> difficult though. So far none of my systems is able to play it.

Am I correct in understanding that this is because H.264 takes a lot
of processing power to play back? What specifications are your
systems, please?

Ooops... just seen your reply of 23:37 GMT.

Since my telly only does 576 I was considering building a low-end SD-
only Mythbox, but you're tempting me to record in HD just to prove
I'm "crazier" than Yeechang. And y'know, there must be the odd movie
playing on the Beeb that'd be worth archiving in hi-def; I wonder
what resolution the Beeb's source material is recorded at? Will
movies aired on the hi-def channel really be at 1920 x 1080, or will
some technician at Wood Lane simply slap a 480p PAL disk in an
upscaling DVD-player?

Stroller.

[1] http://www.fusionhdtv.co.kr/eng/Products/DVBS.aspx
[2] http://mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Video_capture_card#DVB_cards