[mythtv-users] One step forward, two steps back.

clemens at dwf.com clemens at dwf.com
Fri Jan 5 07:30:14 UTC 2007

Earlier today I was feeling good about how MythTV was working, and decided
to try watching TV on a different machine from where the database is stored.

I was unable to compile mythtv on the 2nd machine, which SHOULD have
everything on it that the mythtv box has, but I kept geting compiler failures
(assembler actually) saying that the pseudo-op .weakref was undefined.

[[ ANYBODY know what that problem is??? ]]

Not being able to solve that problem, I just tar'ed up the compile from the
mythtv machine, moved it to the 2nd machine, untared and did an install.

EVERYTHING WORKED.

I actually started thinking about the box I would need in by the TV set to
perform the same task.

But it was too good to be true.
I adjusted a few parameters, like the background (Theme), and qt vs openGL
and everything STILL seemed to be working fine.

Then magically, I started getting a quick popup of the Theme, followed by
a black screen on the 2nd machine.  Its still active, and if I hit return,
I get livetv, and I assume that if I were to move the invisible cursor,
I could get to anything else.

I went back to the mythtv machine and reset the variables that I had
changed, but no luck.  I still get a quick popup of the (empty) background,
followed by a black screen on the 2nd machine (everything is fine if I
do it on the mythtv machine).

Other than the thought that mythtv realized that I was finally making
some progress, and is programmed to get me, any thoughts on the above?

Ive rereinstalled mythtv on the 2nd machine, Ive blown away all the info
for mythtv in the mythtv (user) home directory, no luck.  Obviously
something is being saved somewhere else.  Hope its not the database
back on the mythtv machine.

This is probably the point where I give up for a couple of months,
but I would REALLY like to see it work.

--
                                        Reg.Clemens
                                        reg at dwf.com