[mythtv-users] HD Tuner Cards

Nick Fosteras nikos.f at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 10:44:14 UTC 2007

On 1/4/07, Neil Sedger <mythtv-users at moley.org.uk> wrote:

> Rudy Zijlstra wrote:
>
> >   - BBC HD, which can be captured as its DVB-S. I am playing with that
> > one, difficult though. So far none of my systems is able to play it.
>
> Having said that the only HD channel we can get in the UK is the BBC's,
> I'm not sure if thats worth upgrading everything for. Unless the Sky HD
> channels will decrypt with a CAM, but I've read mixed results from people
> trying to watch Sky's encrypted SD channels that way with Myth.

I'm using a Technotrend TT-budget S-1500 DVB-S card, add-on CI daughter card
and DragonCAM (Firecrypt) CAM to capture Sky here in the UK.  It works
perfectly (using a recent SVN) decoding all the channels I subscribe to
(Artsworld, Discovery, etc).  I don't use the premium channels (Sky Movies
or Sports) - so can't vouch if those work or not.

I can also play back the BBC HD stream from my more powerful system (a C2D
E6400, 2GB RAM, Nvidia 7100GS).  It plays with no stuttering and uses ~40%
of one core and 10% of another when playing/ decoding. (It doesn't play on
any of my less powerful frontends though).

The Planet Earth series that was recently broadcast was stunning (and shot
in real HD).  A lot of the other stuff they broadcast is just upsampled.

The Sky HD stuff (which I don't subscribe to) uses DVB-S2 I believe, which
according to recent posts, isn't ready yet.

Nick