[mythtv-users] One step forward, two steps back.

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Fri Jan 5 11:16:40 UTC 2007

On 5 Jan 2007, at 07:30, clemens at dwf.com wrote:
> I was unable to compile mythtv on the 2nd machine, which SHOULD have
> everything on it that the mythtv box has, but I kept geting
> compiler failures
> (assembler actually) saying that the pseudo-op .weakref was undefined.

When asking for help with compilation problems the best thing to do
is post a few lines of the ACTUAL output from the compiler, copied &
pasted from the machine you compiled on. Usually it is best to copy
from the command prompt after the compile has failed, highlighting
upwards up until the first "error" line is displayed (not warnings,
these are not critical) and then one line before that; paste this
output into your email, or into a text file and attach that.

> [[ ANYBODY know what that problem is??? ]]
>
> Not being able to solve that problem, I just tar'ed up the compile
> from the
> mythtv machine, moved it to the 2nd machine, untared and did an
> install.

Assuming you did actually install properly & correctly - and it helps
us if post something that indicates that (even if it is just "I ran
setup.sh from the commandline and configured the install for this
host", although it's better to post relevant parts of your config
files, both to prove to us that you've done correctly and so we have
more information to look in for mistakes and to help you) - then this
_sounds_ to my inexpert ears like a library problem.
Did you have all the appropriate dependencies installed before
compiling?
Which version of libstdc++ do you have installed?
I think binary distros may have a "dev-" version of some binaries,
which includes the source to compile against, rather than just binary
libs for binary packages to link against. (sorry - I don't know much
about this, I use Gentoo)

Googling for "pseudo-op .weakref undefined" produced some surprising
results - the first posts in Google that refer to this seem to refer
to different architectures and the non-Linux Unix AIX.
What distro are you using, please?
What CPU hardware?
Which version of gcc?

Stroller.