[mythtv-users] MythVideo Internal Player and ffmpeg/ffplay

jim scott jimdscott at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 13:35:28 UTC 2007

On 1/4/07, Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm at atrpms.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 04, 2007 at 09:53:25PM -0600, jim scott wrote:
> > I'm running Myth 0.20 using atrpms on Fedora Core 5. I'm trying to play
> some
> > .mov files with mpeg4 video and mpeg4/aac audio. I compiled a version of
> > ffmpeg and ffplay from the latest source and confirmed that the new
> binaries
> > could decode and play the .mov files.
>
> Off topic, but could you test whether the rpms at ATrpms also work for
> your files?

Using the ATrpms from about 2 months ago, a simple conversion (something
like ffmpeg -i my.mov my.avi) fails because it can't decode the audio
stream. Same problem with ffplay my.mov -- I get an error playing the audio
stream. Do the current MythVideo packages include aac playback?

The audio is actually coming out of the Cinelerra rendering engine. The
Ubuntu 6.06 ffmpeg package won't play the Cinelerra mov's either. I had to
compile ffmpeg with the the --enable-faac flag on that box, too.

> However, MythVideo still refuses to play the files:
>
> It uses its own copy of ffmpeg, so building an external ffmpeg won't
> help (that's not 100% correct, I think mytharchive uses an external
> ffmpeg, but not MythVideo).

Sounds like the only way to get MythVideo's internal player to handle aac
audio is to build my own copy. Since your packages work so well together,
I'm going to find another solution. I'll either re-encode my mov's to avi's
with ac3 audio or configure mplayer to respond to my remote.