[mythtv-users] Windows and qt4

Jerry Rubinow jerrymr at gmail.com
Sat Jan 6 01:27:58 UTC 2007

On 1/5/07, Ross Campbell <ross.campbell at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/5/07, James Orr <james at orrwhat.net> wrote:
> >  I see that qt4 is GPL, even under windows.  Does this mean that if/when
> > mythtv starts to use qt4 instead of qt3 a windows frontend may follow
> soon?
> > Maybe even a backend, but I don't care so much about that :).
>
> Well, unfortunately I believe that the license of QT under Windows is
> not the biggest problem with running mythfrontend under Windows.
>
> At one time, it kinda-sorta-worked, so it's not impossible, and there
> has been some quiet and promising work in the background on this that
> I just noticed that is listed in trac ticket 1590

Unfortunately we ran into a number of dead ends in the cygwin route - qt-win
won't compile under cygwin, so we had to use mingw.  But it turned out we
couldn't use the cygwin runtime for the mythtv code at the same time we were
using the mingw runtime for qt, due to heap problems.  Switching the myth
code to mingw meant implementing a lot of API functions, and if I'm going to
do that, I'd as soon use Visual Studio Express.  In any case, this all
happened before the holidays but the work Jay, Robin, and I did so far was
still useful.

Things are currently on hold until I have some more free time, but once I
do, the project will start up again.

-Jerry