[mythtv-users] Video Noise and VHS-to-DVD conversion (long - only read if interested)

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Jan 6 06:31:57 UTC 2007

On Jan 5, 2007, at 11:54 AM, Stephen Kitchener wrote:

> On Friday 05 Jan 2007 18:34, Tom Lichti wrote:
>> Brian Wood wrote:
>>> (Or: Why does my transfer look like crap?)
>>
>> snip
>>
>>> But at least now you know *why* it looks like crap, even for a VHS
>>> recording.
>>>
>>> It's time to enter the Digital Domain:
>>>
>>> ------------
>>>
>>> End of Part 1.
>>>
>>> Honestly I don't know if this is of any use or even interest to
>>> anyone
>>
>> Actually, it is of use, and it's humourous to boot!
>>
>> Thanks
>> Tom
>
> I enjoyed it also...

Well it's good to know that at least some folks found it useful, and
humor is useful always IMHO.

I'm working on part 2. That's where we have more choices and thus
more ability to make things better or worse. It's where some
affordable methods, both hardware and software, can make a big
difference, but you have to start with as good an analog video signal
as you can get. The old adage holds true again - GIGO.

Of course the flip side is we have have more opportunities to screw
things up in the digital domain.

Although it's a bit OT, it's as topical as a lot of things I see
here. I think most people on this list are interested in video in
general and making DVDs specifically, and certainly there is interest
in Linux in general.

In truth I suspect Isaac has given up on keeping the user's list on
topic, and has pretty much decided to just "put all his nuts in one
barrel" while the devs do the real work. Probably the best solution
under the circumstances.