[mythtv-users] FYI - Lack of DVD Drive Region Caused Playback Issues

Mike Poublon poublon at geeksoft.dyndns.org
Sat Jan 6 15:40:33 UTC 2007

I recently had a problem with my MythTV frontend not being able to play
back a fairly recent DVD (Pirates of the Caribbean 2). The problem only
showed up after I had replaced a fairly old drive with a brand new one
that by default didn't have a region set. The video played back in
MythDVD was blocky and garbled, but the audio seemed to be coming
through just fine (using the internal player). I figured out that it was
the region code while following a document about how to get DVD playback
working in Xine (which I was going to try to use as an alternate
player). The interesting thing was that the DVD played fine (without
menus) in mplayer. I used the regionset utility from the dvd-tools
package and everything is now up and running.

Hopefully the time I spent diagnosing the issue will be able to save a
few others the time and hassle.