[mythtv-users] Video Noise and VHS-to-DVD conversion (long - only read if interested)

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Jan 6 16:25:32 UTC 2007

On Jan 6, 2007, at 8:30 AM, Dewey Smolka wrote:

> I had only known a 'humbucker' as a type of electric guitar pickup and
> thought the name was just because it sounded cool. I hadn't realized
> that setup was designed to eleminate noise -- ie buck hum.

The "humbuckers" I was talking about are small boxes with 2 BNC
connectors designed to reduce hum in video circuits. The guitar
pickups of the same name operate on similar principles, both use
opposing coils to null out AC hum.

The video humbuckers do not, however, break the ground path, and thus
do not help with ground loops and other common-mode problems. Optical
isolators do isolate the grounds, but the problem is that they are
active circuits which require either batteries or AC adapters, which
can be a pain in the field.

> I'm really looking forward to Parts 2 and 3, and I think that once
> they're complete the whole article should find a permanent home on the
> wiki.

Much thanks for the kind words, and it will certainly wind up in the
wiki eventually.