[mythtv-users] Am I on the right list?

F Peeters (MythTV) francesco at fampeeters.com
Sat Jan 6 23:21:25 UTC 2007

On Sun, January 7, 2007 00:00, Damian Surr wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Excuse my ignorance, but I'm looking for a good place for a complete
> newbie to find out how best to go about setting up a MythTV box in the UK.
> How much of a newbie? I'm writing this from windows :-)
>
> I have some experience of a couple of Linux, mainly Ubuntu, but am not
> able to make the switch as my work requires me to use a Windows only app
> 90% of the time.
>
> Anyway, enough rambling.
> I just have a few questions to start with about what hardware I should
> be buying for transforming an old'ish machine into a Freeview type
> wonder box in the UK. But I'll make sure I'm in the right place first. I
> don't know if this is mainly an American board.
>
> If I'm in the wrong place, could someone point me in the right direction?
>
> Cheers
>
> Damian

As MythTV is for a major part a US project, there is a major contingent of
Americans on this list. However us Europeans are well represented as well!

People here are willing to help, as long as you give sufficient
information and show that you've put in reasonable effort to find a
solution yourself...

Ubuntu is a good start for MythTV beginners, however if you're also a
Linux 'n00b' (as you put it yourself), a distro like MythDora or KnoppMyth
may be better suited...

There's tons of info out there. You can begin with searching the list
archives... There's a lot of info on the hardware being used...

Anyway, welcome to the MythTV community and have fun!   ;-)

--
F Peeters
  PC-Chips M863G Geode - NVidia 440 - Hauppauge PVR250