[mythtv-users] Linux/MythTV Newbie - video card driver question

Mark Abreu mark at gags-r-us.org
Sun Jan 7 00:26:53 UTC 2007

I'm trying to build my first linux machine and decided to try MythTV.  Probably a bad idea.  I've installed various linux distros before just to go through the process and have some fun but never kept a machine in that state for long.

I've purchased the "Hacking MythTV" book by Wilson, Tittel, Wright & Korelc and it's a great book.  I'm also trying to follow along at Mr. Wilson's website at http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/ because there are some differences between the book and the website that seem important.  I'm trying to do this with FC6.  My first issue is with the video card driver part of the process.  I have a Nvidia GeForce 4 MX440 card and am trying to follow the installation process for the card driver here:

http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/fcmyth.php#video

When I look at the Nvidia section the first thing I see is that I should update the xorg.conf with empty "Files" and "Module" sections.  I don't know why I'm adding a "Files" section since there's already one in the file?

Next I installed the 8776 drivers.

At this point There's an example "Device" section in the web document that indicates I should see various settings like "VendorName", "BoardName", and various "Option" lines.  I don't see them in my xorg.conf file and that's puzzling to me.  It's not clear if I'm supposed to add that stuff or the 8776 driver install does it?  If I'm supposed to add it, where do I get the correct information to put in it?

And what I'd really like to do is avoid converting my MythTV machine from VGA output to svideo or composite until I'm done setting everything up.  The only other composite device I've got in the computer room is a 4-inch LCD display that's really not usable.  I don't want to haul a TV in here and don't want to spend a lot of time in the living room configuring this thing on the family TV.  Is there a clever way to avoid the video output switch until the end?

Mark Abreu