[mythtv-users] Two part-time backends? MythVideo standalone?

jonny Linux jonnylinux at gmail.com
Sun Jan 7 13:17:19 UTC 2007

Hi,

I have a MythTV 0.20 backend/frontend running on a server in my bedroom,
containing 3 DVB-T cards (in the UK). Downstairs I have a dedicated frontend
connected to the TV. Because the backend is in my bedroom, I usually turn it
off at night, and often when I go out. When the backend is on, my Dad likes
to use MythVideo to watch videos (and listen to music) stored on his Windows
computer over samba, and on DVD (using the drive in the frontendl). When I
don't have the backend turned on, he can't do this because MythFrontend
won't load if it can't connect to the backend.

What is the best solution here? I was thinking of installing the backend
onto the downstairs computer making it a slave backend - but would that
still require my master backend (upstairs) to be on all the time?
Alternatively, is there anyway of making MythVideo/MythMusic/Play DVD run
standalone?

Thanks,

Jonny