[mythtv-users] Is System Status - Machine Status - Load (5.00, 4.66, 4.98) In Percent?

Khanh Tran khanh at khanh.net
Sun Jan 7 15:16:43 UTC 2007

On 1/7/07, Carl Fongheiser <carlfongheiser at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/7/07, nospam312 <nospam312 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > When I view my load values they always seem to be very low considering
> > it is such an old machine.  Are the values displayed in percent % or
> > is there some other numbering system for the load value?  Probably the
> > highest value I have seen it 30.  I want to be happy that the machine
> > is not being put under strain.
>
> Load values represent the average number of runnable processes over a period
> of time. A load average of 30 is *very* high.

This isn't the right place for this, but:
http://www.teamquest.com/resources/gunther/display/5/index.htm

...should help explain load averages for you.  It's a combination of
many factors.  Since you claim to have an old machine, I'm sure you
have IO issues.  Load average's above 20 are bad, as you will start to
lose services (such as sendmail, apache, etc) on default build of
servers, unrelated to Myth.  You'll want to keep your load averages
under 1, but LA of 2 to 3 are safe, depending on application.  The
load average is just that, and is relative to what you're trying to
accomplish.