[mythtv-users] 3Ware RAID 5 backend

Ben Dash ben_dash at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 8 01:25:53 UTC 2007

--- GARETH GLACCUM <gareth.glaccum at btopenworld.com>
wrote:
> Not got experience with these devices in a myth
> sense, but I use them a lot
> at work (every system I implement).
> The 7506 is quite an old model now, and is IDE. As a
> computer manufacturer
> we are finding that supplies of IDE are drying up a
> bit, and you may want to
> consider moving to SATA if this is going to be an
> investment for you (I
> think that making a 2.2TB array as you have here is
> an investment).
> If you are doing a RAID 5 set, you loose one of the
> disks to parity. Thus
> you have 750GB *3 (4 disks minus 1 for parity) =
> 2250 GB. Some of this will
> be lost in formatting and data information. I would
> reckon that if you were
> to set this up you would not be over the 2 TB limit.

I just ran across this through some googling:

"The Escalade series supports arrays up to 2TB.   Your
drives can actually total more than this, but if so
you'll have to create more than one array, neither of
which can exceed 2TB.   Probably not an issue if you
"only" use 300GB drives"

So does that mean that I could drive 4 750GB drives in
a RAID5, as long as I split them into 2 logical
arrays, one being used for TV recordings and the other
for the filesystem/music/DVDs (obviously partitioned
up into several partitions)?

I just found the online 3Ware pdf manual so I expect
all my questions will be answerde there, I'll post a
reply with any info I find in case anyone else needs
it.