[mythtv-users] Firewire gone - everything 5C encrypted

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 03:51:39 UTC 2007

I have been happily recording such channels as DiscoveryHD and ESPNHD
since last summer.  Starting January 4th 2007, Comcast of Albuquerque
has turned on 5C encryption (copy-once) for all digital channels.

The copy-once setting seems to be a bit miss-named to me, since it
does not mean I can make one copy.  If I hook up the firewire directly
to my TV, I can watch a channel which has 5C copy-once turned on, but
I cannot record it with Myth.

This change in policy by Comcast has me ready to drop them completely.
 I am considering my options.  I am thinking about getting either a
Dish ViP622 or a Directv HR20-700 *just* for HD channels, plus a
non-HD, non-DVR satellite receiver to feed Myth the SD channels.

I know that some Directv receivers have a serial port which can be
used for channel changes.  Does this include any of the newer mpeg4
receivers?

How reliable is channel changing on either Directv or Dish when using
an IR blaster?

All comments welcome.

Thanks,

John