[mythtv-users] Video Noise and VHS-to-DVD conversion (long - only read if interested)

Christopher Friend christopher_friend at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 8 16:32:18 UTC 2007

>Honestly I don't know if this is of any use or even interest to anyone.

It would have been really useful for me last year when I was transfering a
load of stuff from VCR to PC, cept I'd have no idea how to do any of the
above (cleaning, grounding, making up cables etc). In fact my biggest
problem was actually getting a program that would record the stuff at all as
I couldn't use MythTV (linux drivers for vid capture card only half
finished) and most windows programs had various problems (stutter, poor
quality...).

In the end they didn't come out too bad (considering I was using a regular
dvd/video combi (good quality VCR player had destroyed itself a few weeks
before), no thought about cables, and not much idea what i was doing with
programs...). Here's one of the better results I stuck up on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EDGEUa8OBw

What could be just as much use is a n00b's guide to VCR > DVD stuff, such as
what the best quality VCRs to use are, and the best way to connect things up
(composite, svideo), which pci cards are best etc. That's what I spent a
while figuring out , after that I couldn't care less wether my cables were
75 ohm or 50 ohm or whatever...

>Although it's a bit OT, it's as topical as a lot of things I see
>here. I think most people on this list are interested in video in
>general and making DVDs specifically, and certainly there is interest
>in Linux in general.

That's why I like this list. I wouldn't read it half as much if there wasn't
plenty of general AV type discussions on it.

Christopher