[mythtv-users] My FIOS TV experiences

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 16:59:08 UTC 2007

On 1/6/07, Jerry Rubinow <jerrymr at gmail.com> wrote:
> I live in the Philadelphia suburbs, and about a month ago Verizon started
> offering FIOS TV in a bunch of townships here.  I got my install on
> Thursday.  Here are my experiences, for anyone who's thinking about doing
> the same.
>
> I signed up for both FIOS internet and TV at the same time.  The install
> took about 6 hours with two guys, mainly because they had to run new coax
> that was up to their specs to the three tvs in my house.  The techs were
> professional, knowledgeable, and cut no corners.  Very happy with them and
> their work.
>
> Picture quality for the analog channels puts Comcast to shame.  They looks
> like digital feeds now.  Extremely happy with that.
>
> Now the myth-related part.  The set top box is a Motorola QIP6200-2.  It
> looks identical to the Comcast DCT-6200, except for lacking a cablecard slot
> in the front.  Firewire was enabled, and Myth had no problems changing the
> channel on the box.  6200ch however needed a little tweaking (had to add a
> new vendor and model id - 0x0000195e and 0x00007100, respectively) before it
> would work.
>
> The bad part is that a seemingly random assortment of HD OTA channels have
> some kind of copy protection enabled.  ABC, CBS, and CW, according to the
> set top diagnostic screen, have CCI: 0x02 and RC Flag: 0x01 set.  And
> test-mpeg2 generates garbage when trying to record them.  The rest have
> these flags set to 0 and test-mpeg2 has no problem.  A little googling shows
> these setting control whether a program is copy-once, copy-always, etc, and
> whether a device is forced to downconvert it on playback.  I'll be calling
> Verizon support as soon as they're open to get them to fix this and report
> back once I have more info.
>
> Now to look up those FCC regs in case I need to cite them...

Those control settings correspond to the 5C DRM system, sadly theres
no FCC regulation saying they have to let you receive OTA HD without a
5C system. They may however have to let you receive the Analog
equivalent stations over firewire without 5C equipment. I say 'may'
because theres still some legal questions as to how much control the
FCC has over IPTV systems.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!