[mythtv-users] My FIOS TV experiences

Jerry Rubinow jerrymr at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 17:07:20 UTC 2007

On 1/8/07, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:

> > The bad part is that a seemingly random assortment of HD OTA channels
> have
> > some kind of copy protection enabled.  ABC, CBS, and CW, according to
> the
> > set top diagnostic screen, have CCI: 0x02 and RC Flag: 0x01 set.  And
> > test-mpeg2 generates garbage when trying to record them.  The rest have
> > these flags set to 0 and test-mpeg2 has no problem.  A little googling
> shows
> > these setting control whether a program is copy-once, copy-always, etc,
> and
> > whether a device is forced to downconvert it on playback.  I'll be
> calling
> > Verizon support as soon as they're open to get them to fix this and
> report
> > back once I have more info.
> >
> > Now to look up those FCC regs in case I need to cite them...
>
> Those control settings correspond to the 5C DRM system, sadly theres
> no FCC regulation saying they have to let you receive OTA HD without a
> 5C system. They may however have to let you receive the Analog
> equivalent stations over firewire without 5C equipment. I say 'may'
> because theres still some legal questions as to how much control the
> FCC has over IPTV systems.

Although the wording is obtuse, the way I read CFR Title 47 76.1904 of the
regulations, it sounds like they're not allowed to encrypt HD OTA signals.
In any case, the guy I talked to in technical support at Verizon agreed with
me that none of those channels should be encrypted (after he put me on hold
for a few minutes, presumably talking with a supervisor) and said they're
going to look into fixing the problem and would give me a call back.

-Jerry