[mythtv-users] XvMC on NVidia with Myth .20 (Anyonegetting goodHD off a P4 3

Drew Bernat abernat at zathras.net
Mon Jan 8 18:15:40 UTC 2007

On Jan 8, 2007, at 11:51 AM, R. G. Newbury wrote:

> You appear to have missed the point here, and it is amazingly easy to
> get confused about what is being discused.
>
> There are two types of signal delivery.
> There are (for our purposes) two levels of signal definition.
>
> One type of delivery can do both levels of definition.
> The other type of delivery can do only the lower level of definition.
>
> Digital delivery can be SD or HD level definition.
> Analog delivery can only do SD delivery.

Right. So my HDTV cards can record HD- or SD-, and the PVR-500 record
SD-. I'm outputting SD. Right so far?

> These *should* be the same, but realistically the digital will be a
> better picture. The one is sent as MPEG and streamed to your hard
> drive.
> The other is sent as analog, and converted by your PVR's onboard
> encoder, and streamed to your harddrive.

The HD-card-recorded programs are definitely clearer. What I'm
wondering is if the HD-card-recorded shows work with XvMC, and the
PVR-card-recorded shows don't - it might be a format difference
between the cards rather than a resolution issue.

>> Also interesting that the S-video out ignores modelines. I know
>> you can
>> futz with resolutions, but I thought you could also do refresh
>> rates. I
>> guess not.
>
> Well, technically, I guess it has a hard wired modeline based on
> NTSC or
> PAL standards... which include the refresh rate.

Okay, so I can safely ignore the discussions on setting modelines and
X overhead.

> Clean down your xorg.conf to either 800x600 or 720x480 and see what
> happems. Since you are using the S-video for output, remember to
> set the
> output to 'CRT,TV' to get both.

Will do, thanks!

Drew