[mythtv-users] Beginner - Practical HDTV and Comcast Questions

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Jan 8 23:12:55 UTC 2007

On Jan 8, 2007, at 3:59 PM, Jerry Rubinow wrote:

> On 1/8/07, Jake Palmer <jakep_82 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >My TV is capable of 1080i and if I'm going to "upgrade" then I'd
> >probably like to enable HDTV.  I really dislike the "cable boxes".  I
> >believe that means I'm watching only analog signals and certainly
> no HDTV.
>
> You can get HD capable cable boxes.  They have DVI, HDMI, or component
> outputs.
>
> Note: none of those outputs are recordable by any consumer-grade
> hardware.

Essentially correct but perhaps not for long. Have a look at:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,128433/article.html

This would appear to be a "consumer" device (albeit an expensive one)
that is capable of encoding 1080i to an MPEG-2 stream.

There are also some Blu-Ray recorders in the stream, but at present
the blank disks are around $30US and the machines are pricey.

The best thing I'm aware of right now is an Avid product that can
encode 1080i HDMI and sells for around $5000. While not exactly a
"consumer" device these might wind up on the used/refurbed market for
perhaps $2500US.

So hold onto your seat, it's going to be a fun ride.