[mythtv-users] Where to start?

Robin Hill myth at robinhill.me.uk
Tue Jan 9 12:20:16 UTC 2007

On Tue Jan 09, 2007 at 12:03:42PM +0000, Damian Surr wrote:

> Can anyone offer advice on TV tuners for Freeview in the UK? Someone
> posted on another tread that I'd need a satellite dish. Is that right? I
> thought it came though a normal aerial.

There's a couple of ways to get the Freeview channels - via satellite
(with a one-off installation fee) or via a normal aerial (though it
might need replacing as the optimal aerial design is different for
the frequencies used by digital and analogue).  If you're wanting to use
a normal aerial then you need a DVB-T card, and for satellite you'll
need a DVB-S card (which I can't help you with).

For DVB-T, I've used both the Nova-T and the Nova-T-500.  The Nova-T is
very well supported and has given me absolutely no issues.  The
Nova-T-500 is a dual tuner card (it's basically two USB tuners and a USB
bridge) and is very compact.  It's not quite as stable (especially if
you're trying to use EIT) though someone posted a suggested patch on the
DVB list a few days ago (I've not had chance to test it myself yet).
The remote is also not currently supported with the Nova-T-500.

HTH,
        Robin
--
     ___