[mythtv-users] /usr/bin/irw error, how to debug?

Henry S. Greenside hsg at phy.duke.edu
Tue Jan 9 16:51:43 UTC 2007

Following carefully Jared Wilson's instructions on the
site http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/, I have been trying to
set up MythTV under Fedora Core 6 on a Shuttle SB65G2
with a serial IR receiver that I purchased from
www.irblaster.info.

I followed Jared's instructions for a serial IR
receiver, e.g., put these statements in
/etc/modprobe.conf:

    alias char-major-61 lirc_serial
    options lirc_serial irq=4 io=0x3f8
    install lirc_serial /bin/setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none ;\
        /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install lirc_serial

When I then execute

    /sbin/service lircd start

I don't see an OK, I just get a shell prompt again.
When I then activate the receiver with

    /usr/bin/irw

to try it out, I get this error message:

    connect: No such file or directory

Could someone give me some help to get irw working?

By the way, the Shuttle has only a single serial port
which I assume must be COM1.

    Thanks,

    Henry