[mythtv-users] Where to start?

Robin Hill myth at robinhill.me.uk
Tue Jan 9 18:04:59 UTC 2007

On Tue Jan 09, 2007 at 04:54:44PM +0000, Stroller wrote:

> On 9 Jan 2007, at 12:20, Robin Hill wrote:
>
> > There's a couple of ways to get the Freeview channels - via satellite
> > (with a one-off installation fee)...
>
> Is the one-off installation fee actually necessary? I plan to use DVB-
> S and had intended to buy a cheap dish & LNB off eBay (or find
> someone who has moved into a house whose previous owner had left one
> bolted to the outside wall) and simply hook it up to a DVB-S card.
>
> I have a customer who runs a satellite TV installation business,
> although I haven't had the chance to chat to them about this yet. I
> was planning to ask for their advice &/or help in adjusting the
> alignment of the aerial - I'll gladly pay for that, but hadn't
> planned on paying any Sky "registration" or installation fees; I was
> intending to simply treat the installation like that of a "satellite
> aerial".
>
> In what way does satellite require a "one-off installation fee" that
> paying a little man to come & install a freeview (DVB-T) aerial to
> your roof does not?

I've no idea - I've never looked into this (it seems a waste unless you
can't get decent DVB-T reception).  The fee isn't too bad (about a
hundred quid I think) and possibly includes a set-top box of some
sort (that'd seem rather necessary if you're trying to hook it up to a
TV) as well as the aerial installation.

Cheers,
        Robin
--