[mythtv-users] Gentoo, qt4 and mythtv

Phill Wiggin alamar at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 18:24:02 UTC 2007

(This post is mainly for posterity and anyone not familiar with the
subject, I'm reiterating points from different parts of the thread.)

On 1/9/07, Stroller <linux.luser at myrealbox.com> wrote:

> On 9 Jan 2007, at 16:05, Phill Wiggin wrote:
> > Honestly, I'm not sure that the order of the USE flags makes any
> > difference.
>
> Nor was I - that's why I asked.

Sorry, I didn't come across clearly there, it's just my way of
talking.  I'd meant that I'd dismiss the notion that order was
important, not that I had no idea. (of course, there would have been
no reason for me to reply if that was the case.=) )

> > The best thing to do (so far as I'm aware) is to add a
> > line in the /etc/portage/package.use file that says:
> > media-tv/mythtv qt3 -qt4
>
> I'd have thought that, too.

As it turns out, we were both wrong, since the myth ebuild doesn't use
those flags.  However, that's an appropriate way to turn specific
flags on or off for an individual package, if the ebuild honors them.

> The reason I asked is that the parent posted did not say "qt3 -qt4"
> but instead `my resolution was to put "qt3 qt4" into my make.conf'.
> If you're not sure then you're no better informed than I am! (please
> forgive me for pointing this out). Did he actually mean "qt3 -qt4" or
> is the order of the flags relevant and useful?
>
> Stroller.

As is posted elsewhere in this thread, Mythtv's ebuild doesn't care
about your qt USE flags.  It wants qt3 and not qt4.

However, on a Myth-only box, masking off qt4 is the least problematic
option I have found, and putting "qt3 -qt4" in your USE flags
(regardless of order) should build software on your system with qt3
options instead of qt4.