[mythtv-users] modelines for plasma

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 20:09:49 UTC 2007

On 1/9/07, Jake Thompson <jake at jakethompson.com> wrote:
> On 1/9/07, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 1/8/07, Lord Darkhelmet <lord_darkhelmet at accesscomm.ca> wrote:
> > > I have a Panasonic plasma model TH-58PX60 and not sure of how to connect
> > > it to myth.  My video card has DVI out and the plasma has a HDMI
> > > input,  do I just get a DVI to HDMI cable and call it done or do I have
> > > to worry about setting the modelines ?
> >
> > www.monoprice.com, buy a DVI to HDMI cable. (I always suggest buying
> > it a little longer than you *think* you need)
<SNIP>
> What are your/anyone's experiences buying a $25 DVI-HDMI type cable compared
> to the $150 monster cables available at the brick and mortars?

They're basically the same. Except in rare circumstances the only
difference between cables is the build quality. Sometimes cheap cables
have cheap connectors that just don't feel as good. Since the
connector is your physical interface to the cable it's nice to have
beefier connectors. All the cables I've purchased through Monoprice
either have a "premium" version with nicer connectors or have nice
connectors to begin with.

I actually have a 15ft monoprice DVI-HDMI and 12ft Monster DVI-HDMI, I
got both for the same price (deal a day site had the monster cable "on
sale"). The monoprice cable is beefier (thicker gauge, more
insulation) than the monster cable, but also heavier, which in the end
means I like the monster cable more because it doesn't put as much
torque on the HDMI plug on the TV and the monoprice cable more because
it has better insulation. Visually there's no difference.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!