[mythtv-users] frontend connecting from outside my home network

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Tue Jan 9 22:04:25 UTC 2007

mythmail at gmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
>     I have a mythtv system running on my home network that's behind a
> router/firewall.  I was wondering if there was a way that I could have
> my lab desktop (not on my home network, but with a plenty fast
> connection to it) running the frontend connect to my home system.  I
> tried just forwarding the ports for the backend and MySQL through the
> router.  I can access the MySQL database just fine, but I can't access
> any video.  I think this is because the backend at home has it's IP
> set as 192.168.1.3 and the lab computer doesn't know to try my
> router's IP address instead.  Does anybody have any ideas how I could
> get this to work?  Some fancy iptables setup maybe?
>    Thanks, this has the potential to make some of those late nights go
> by much smoother,

BTW, opening up your database, etc to the outside world is a VeryBadIdea
(tm).  Another option is to use the patches to do Flash transcoding and
stream that from Mythweb (again, be very very careful opening mythweb to
the world).  One googlebot hitting your delete links will wipe out your
recordings rather quick.

Kevin