[mythtv-users] Apple iTV - MythTV Frontend?

Jeff Breadner jeff at breadner.ca
Tue Jan 9 23:26:20 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-09 at 14:13 -0700, Brian Wood wrote:

> >> even
> >
> > Well it's mostly HD.  Only 720p.  I'd rather spend $200 more for a
> > PS3 that
> > already runs linux, has blue ray and supports 1080p.
> >

> I agree, and I think I am going to go that route.
>
> You can order a PS3 with Linux pre-installed, but delivery looks like
> it will be second quarter at the earliest.

I've installed both FC5 and Yellow Dog Linux 5 on my PlayStation 3; both
went quite smoothly, it's very straightforward to do.  It certainly
takes much less knowledge to get Linux running on a PS3 than it does to
get Myth running on even a standard x86 PC system, IMHO.

The main problem seems to be that we don't even have the underlying
tools that are required to get Myth working on these distros on the PS3
yet, things like ffmpeg or w32codecs just plain aren't available yet, at
least from what I've found so far.  And I've read that there's some
problems getting myth to compile on the PS3.

I've barely seen any chatter on the mythtv-users or the mythtv-dev lists
about anyone trying to get Myth running on the PS3; until you can find a
FAQ out there that describes how to get Myth running on a PS3, or unless
you're interested in actively helping in Myth development for the PS3,
(or unless you want to, you know, play games on it), I'd hold off buying
a PS3 system.

cheers
  Jeff