[mythtv-users] Transcode Settings for 1080p

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 01:20:44 UTC 2007

On 1/9/07, Bill Williamson <bill at bbqninja.com> wrote:
> On 1/10/07, Jake Thompson <jake at jakethompson.com> wrote:
> > I soon will have a 1080p TV and I was wondering if anyone has some
> > reocmmended settings for transcoding HD programs and possibly SD.  I would
> > like to get the max out of my TV even though there may not really be
> > anything out there that I am able to record in full 1080p.

the hardware scaling isn't that bad, we watch 480i content quite a bit
on our 65" 1080p tv and its not horrid. 1080i and 720p content gets
"scaled/converted" by the tv to 1080p better than Myth will do so its
not really worth it.

> An initial thought would be "will a passively transcoded to 1080p file
> look any better than one scaled up by XvMC" ?

yes. software scaling is something being looked into by some folks on
the dev list.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!