[mythtv-users] CRT specs that match TV specs for SD

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Wed Jan 10 06:29:12 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 09 January 2007 22:10, Chris Ribe wrote:
> On 1/9/07, Jerome Yuzyk <jerome at supernet.ab.ca> wrote:
> > I am pretty happy with my Myth setup and would now like to improve my
> > display.
> > I use an IBM 17" monitor connected to an nVidia GeForce 6100+ card. I
> > don't
> > want a TV, but I'd like to get TV-quality display. What specs (dot pitch,
> > contrast) should I aim for to match what a TV would provide?
>
> What has lead you to believe that you don't have a TV-quality display?
> There are two major differences between your monitor and a TV -  your
> monitor is much higher resolution, and it is a progressive scan device.
>
> If you are dissatisfied with your Myth picture quality, the culprit is
> probably the capture card/compression, not the display.

Well it must be the compression then, or my setup. All I know is that sporting
events, for example, don't look crisp. The picture is "soft". I have a
PVR-500 card and I have raised the bitrate some, after discussing my
impressions in the past. After I spent the weekend at my girlfriend's place,
her 27" $300 Phillips TV looks way better than my setup and so I got to
wondering what I could do. There are so many variables to fiddle with I lost
interest working through them but now I want to try again.