[mythtv-users] Fwd: Separate CI slot?

Dave dave at 0bits.com
Wed Jan 10 09:02:19 UTC 2007

 > My DVB card doesn't, no, but isn't the CI part quite separate from
 > the DVB decoding ? In other words can't you have a "standalone" CI?

Not that i know of, but someone can prove me wrong..

 > The CI slot is effectively a PCMCIA slot, isn't it?

Same form factor yes, but a CI slot includes h/w and decryption routines
that marries the CI card/smartcard together to form a decryption bond
with the hardware. So i wouldn't expect to plug a CI card into my laptop
PCMCIA slot an expect to get decryption working.

 > I do have an old phoenix somewhere from an anclient project, but
 > I was planning on using my Conax CAM here together with my Mythbox.

I would say that's your best bet, but getting it to work with this
combination is not part of this mailing list.

> Does your DVB card support a CI interface firstly ? I have a TT-1300
> budget card which does (see dvbshop.net for other cards that support CI
> interfaces).

My DVB card doesn't, no, but isn't the CI part quite separate from
the DVB decoding ? In other words can't you have a "standalone" CI?
The CI slot is effectively a PCMCIA slot, isn't it?

> Alternatively you need an external phoenix smartcards read/writer that
> you can use with a original vendor card along with a softcam. Both these
> issues are highly controversial however.

I do have an old phoenix somewhere from an anclient project, but
I was planning on using my Conax CAM here together with my Mythbox.

Thanks
Dag