[mythtv-users] DirecTV clarification, please

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Jan 10 15:36:35 UTC 2007

On Jan 10, 2007, at 6:57 AM, notimeinco wrote:

> I've been researching MythTV to see if I want to put something
> together for home.  I am a SD DirecTV customer and am looking at
> adding HD.  I am also a TiVo user so I'll want to start recording
> HD programming. I'm considering replacing TiVo with MythTV.
>
> From what I've read, it looks like to truly record HD from D*, I'd
> need to get either the R5000HD or 169time solutions.  If I don't
> mind losing HD resolution, I could view and record the programming
> via S-video connection on a MythTV box.  Am I generally on track or
> am I confused?
You're right on track there.

> Also, could someone clarify cabling for me?  I'm not currently an
> HD customer so I don't know what the output options are on a HD D*
> box:
>
> Solution #1:  directv_rcvr (r500hd-enhanced) --> r5000hd --
> (firewire connection)--> WinXP box --???? Cable type ????--> MythTV
The 169time solution adds a firewire port to the DTV receiver so you
plug that directly into your Myth box. No need for a tuner card. I'm
not sure about the r5000 since it requires WinXP and I don't have any
of those machines around so I never looked into it.
> Solution #2:  directv_rcvr --???? Cable type ????--> MythTV
Assuming you mean taking the SD resolution feed from your HD DirectTV
box, you would need a tuner or frame-grabber card. The cable you need
would depend on your capture card, but they would typically grab the
S-Video out from the DTV box.

I've resigned myself to only getting SD via satellite and rely on OTA
for HD programming. Luckily I live in a city where I get all the
major networks and a couple of smaller ones with OTA HD. Frankly, I'm
still a little confused about the 169time boxes. I can't tell if you
need to buy the $1000 box as well as the $800 AVX1 processor or if
you just buy the box. I don't think TV is worth a $2000 investment
over the $2000+ I already spent on my myth boxes.